Apprenticeships for Employers
Hiring an apprentice is a productive and effective way for any business to grow talent and develop a motivated, skilled and qualified workforce.
There are rules governing what an apprenticeship is. The main ones are:
the apprentice must be employed in a real job.
they do not have to be new to the organisation; they may be an existing employee who is receiving appropriate training.
the apprentice must work towards achieving an approved apprenticeship standard or apprenticeship framework.
the apprenticeship training must last at least 12 months.
the apprentice must spend at least 20% of their time on off-the-job training.
Apprenticeships are a ‘win-win’ situation for employers and apprentices. Apprentices get a real job, receive training towards nationally recognised qualifications, gain the benefits of work based experience and qualifications and earn a wage at the same time; whilst employers get financial assistance towards the off-the-job training costs, and gain skilled staff who can make a real contribution to their business.
Benefits of having an apprentice
Cost effective way to find enthusiastic people to bring fresh ideas to your company
Deliver skills designed around your business needs
Can be used to upskill exisiting staff into new roles to aid sucession planning
Creates a reliable talent pool to grow your business
How is this funded?
Prior to the start of your apprentices’ training programme you will agree a cost for the training and assessment with PTS Training Academy. If you are subject to the apprenticeship levy, this cost will be met from your levy contribution.
If you are not subject to the levy or have insuffcient levy funds remaining you will need to pay 10% of the agreed cost. The government will fund the remaining 90%, up to the maximum funding amount set for each apprenticeship. You could be eligible for extra funding depending on both your and your apprentice’s circumstances and you will need to provide relevant evidence of this.
Should your apprentice require additional support or further training to meet the required standards of English and maths, these costs will be fully funded by the government.